In addition to ARDMS, you may be interested in learning about the leading professional organizations in the sonography community:
• The Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (SDMS), with over 28,000 members, is the largest association
of sonographers and sonography students in the world. The SDMS promotes, advances, and educates its
members and the medical community in the science of diagnostic medical sonography.
• The American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM) is dedicated to advancing the safe and effective use
of ultrasound in medicine through professional and public education, research, development of guidelines
• The Society for Vascular Ultrasound (SVU) is the only professional organization completely dedicated to the
advancement of noninvasive vascular technology used in the diagnosis of vascular disease. SVU is comprised
of more than 4,400 vascular technologists, physicians, nurses and other allied health professionals. SVU offers
educational programs, publications, networking opportunities, government representation and more.
• The SVS awards research grants to vascular scientists to improve the quality of vascular patient
• The World Federation for Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology (WFUMB) is dedicated to the advancement of
ultrasound in the world community.
• The American Society of Echocardiography (ASE) is an organization of professionals committed to excellence
in cardiovascular ultrasound and its application to patient care through education, advocacy, research,
innovation and service to its members and the public.
• Sonography Canada is the credentialing body and the national voice for diagnostic medical sonographers in
Canada. The organization strives to advance the profession and further define the role of sonographers in the
• The Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) provides accreditation programs for vascular testing,
echocardiography, nuclear/PET, MRI, diagnostic CT, dental CT, carotid stenting and vein treatment and
management. The IAC programs for accreditation are dedicated to ensuring quality patient care and
promoting health care and all support one common mission: Improving health care through accreditation®.
• The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) is a programmatic
postsecondary accrediting agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and
carries out its accrediting activities in cooperation with 21 review committees (Committees on Accreditation).
CAAHEP currently accredits over 2,100 entry level education programs in 26 health science professions.
• The American College of Radiology (ACR) core mission is to serve patients and society by empowering
members to advance the practice, science and professions of radiological care.